If you've constitute that your download speed is neat, just your upload speed is abysmal, I've got a possible solution for you lot. I struggled with this issue for a while and decided to write down my findings in a weblog post in instance I, or anyone else, runs into this in the future.

In fact, this is the second such weblog post I'm writing: a couple years ago, I hitting the the inverse issue and documented the solution in a weblog post called Got slow download just fast upload speeds over wireless? Here'southward a fix. That post has had several hundred thousand views and helped many people (check out the comments—I even got a marriage proposal), and then I'm hoping this post volition be useful too!

Hither's your tldr: upgrade your router'due south firmware.

Symptoms

I noticed that on all my devices - a Macbook Pro, iPhone, Windows desktop - webpages were sometimes taking a long time to load; it was a scrap intermittent, simply everything from google maps to gmail suddenly got very sluggish. I accept one of their college tier Internet plans from Comcast, so this was pretty disappointing.

I ran a bandwidth examination on http://www.speedtest.net/ and the results were roughly the aforementioned across all of my devices:

Slow upload speed

At 57 Mb/southward, the download speed was great; all the same, the upload speed was a mere 0.17 Mb/southward, which is pretty much unusable. In fact, I had to re-run the test several times, as occasionally, the upload portion of the test would get stuck and never complete.

The solution

I tried rebooting the router, the cablevision modem, tweaking a bunch of settings, merely nothing helped. I likewise checked with Comcast to ensure in that location were no bug our outages in my area, and of course, everything was fine.

Finally, I stumbled upon the solution: a firmware upgrade. My router, a Cisco/Linksys E1200, was using firmware version 2.0.02. I went over to Linksys' support page, establish my router, and saw that a newer version, ii.0.06, was available. Here's a snippet from the release notes:

            Product:          Linksys E1200, Wireless-Northward Router Nomenclature:   Firmware Release History ____________________________________________________________________   Firmware 2.0.06 (build 6) - Pocket-sized cosmetic browser-based GUI update. - Various minor bug fixes.   Firmware 2.0.05 (build ii) - Enhanced WAN-to-LAN operation when Net connection blazon is gear up to PPPoE.   Firmware 2.0.04 (build ane) - Resolved issue with subtract in download speed when WMM is enabled. - Resolved effect with subtract in upload speed when QoS is enabled. - Increase throughput performance when parental control is not enabled. - Resolved consequence with incorrectly handle RTSP under certain circumstances. - Resolved PPPoE connection issue with a few ISPs.   Firmware 2.0.03 (build 10) - Added dual-stack lite (DS-lite) back up. - Allow native IPv6 and 6rd support to be enabled simultaneously. - Implemented Wi-Fi Protected Setup lock-down mechanism to prevent brute forcefulness set on. - Resolved issue with non being able to access the browser-based GUI via HTTPS when newer versions of Net Explorer or Firefox is used. - Added Danish support in the browser-based GUI.          

The notes for version two.0.04 are especially interesting, equally they ready bugs with WMM (which was the crusade of problems in my previous blog post), QoS, and more.

I figured it was worth a shot, downloaded the two.0.06 firmware, and installed it through my router'southward admin UI. The instructions for upgrading the firmware will not exist the same for all routers, but hither's roughly what y'all need to do:

  1. Go to [http://192.168.1.one](http://192.168.1.1/) and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to detect the default username and password.
  2. Click on "administration".
  3. Click on "firmware upgrade".
  4. You should run into a page like this:
    Upgrade firmware page
  5. Click "Choose File" and select the firmware file you downloaded.
  6. Click "Start Upgrade". Exercise Not unplug your router or click anything else in the meantime; let the upgrade consummate!
  7. Await a minute or so for your router to reboot.

The results

Later the router restarted, I re-ran my speed examination, and the results were much nicer:

Fast upload speed

The download speed is yet a zippy 57 Mb/due south, just now the upload speed is fast besides, at 11 Mb/south, or about 70x faster than what it was before. Woohoo!

I hope you found the mail helpful. If your router has a different firmware upgrade process, go out a comment with the steps y'all followed so others can find it. Happy spider web browsing!